Why should we take our kids outdoors?
- It is a great way to improve relationships between family members, make your family grow closer, and life-long family memory.
- It can let your kids fully enjoy great summertime. Yes, teaching kids about the natural world should be treated as one of the most important events in their lives.
- Teaching our kids to appreciate and enjoy nature, which is part of preserving wilderness for future generations.
- Being active outdoors also helps kids to build their confidence, curiosity, and self-esteem.
Besides these, there are so many and many other benefits of taking children outdoors nearly nobody can list them all. So many parents are planning their first family hiking as summer is coming now. If you are one of them and looking for some tricks for hiking with kids, here are five tips to help:
It's a good idea to choose a destination close to home to start, so your kids don’t get restless and tired on a long drive. You can look for some perfect spots for a family-friendly hiking trip, which was filled with stunning, varied nature and a wide range of easily accessed hiking trails.
If you are looking for a kid-friendly hiking trail near you, here we'll share some of the easy hiking trails to do with kids: black creek preserve trail in Esopus, New York; bluff point hike in Groton, Connecticut; green loop in Cheesequake State Park; caw caw interpretive center in Ravenel, South Carolina; hickory ridge trail in Jester Park; St. Louis canyon and wildcat canyon in Starved Creek State Park...
Keep funny and easy! At least at the first few times, select a not too long or too strenuous hike trail, make a loose schedule, and keep walking leisurely. Remember that, for kids, the hike is about the experience, not about how far we have hiked one day.
Nature is an amusement park that can always keep your kids occupied. Your kids are more interested in getting down on his or her hands and knees to explore the undergrowth than hiking on the trail, so why not create games that you and your kids can play out on the trail? Have them count wildflower species, look for signs of wildlife, organize a scavenger hunt, or play the classic hide and seek games... all of them can help kids feel funny and keep kids from becoming disinterested or restless about going further along the trail.
3. CLOTHES & FOOD
- Dress your kids in layers;
- Bright visible clothing can help you can more easily spot them;
- Take ample amounts of clothing in case your kids get chilled or need to change one;
- Always bring rain clothes;
- Make sure your kids have adequate and comfortable hiking shoes;
- Don’t forget hats and gloves for kids.
Always bring snacks and plenty of fluids. Hiking requires a lot of energy, so do remember to let your kids stop and eat high energy foods and drink plenty of water frequently, which will keep them in good spirits.
Delicious hiking food is a great motivator for tiny feet, here is some health and delicious food choice that you can prepare for your kids while hiking: Trail Mix, Granola Bars, Mini Sandwiches, Crackers Sandwiches, Mini Muffins, Fresh Fruit, Veggie Sticks...
Always makes sure to pack these Essentials especially hiking with kids:
- Family first aid kit;
- Kid-sized water bottle (we like using KingCamp water bottle. If you are looking for a useful water bottle for your kids, you can click here to buy now).
Let’s enjoy a happy backpacking trip with kids.