The seasons have turned to autumn but young kids still have the energy and desire to play outdoors. During these outdoor activities, nothing quite beats that hiking in the beautiful view and breath the fresh autumn air.
Whether having a stroll down to the local park or hiking in the mountain trail, you and your kids can get obvious health benefits, and boost the bond as a family as well as teach your children and broaden their horizons.
But compared to adults, kids are weak and need more gear to make the outing more comfortable and enjoyable. So, make sure to carry these essentials on every hiking trip, no matter how close to home, no matter the forecast.
- Dress children in layers. Remember adding or removing layers keeps kids from being soaked with sweat or rain, and from becoming too hot or too cold.
- Choose clothes that are quick-drying and retain warmth even when wet.
- Long-sleeved shirts and long pants; wind protection, rain protection, warm jackets.
- Hats: brimmed hats with a strap under the chin are better as they can stay on.
- Extra clothing
- Extra socks
- Wear closed-toe shoes with good ankle support for hiking.
- Synthetic liner socks under wool socks can offer the most warmth and blister protection.
- Children’s Packs: For safety, increasing skills and responsibility, you need to let your kids carry some of their gear as early as possible.
- Trekking poles: help kids to save energy
- Map and compass: Older children can help with route-find
- Whistle: Teach children how to use a whistle for safety.
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Water bottle: Carrying their own water encourages children to drink on the trail.
4. WATER & FOOD
- Water: Two quarts per person is usually adequate.
- Food: including high-energy snacks such as nuts, dried fruit, or granola bars. Pack lunch for longer trips.
5. OTHER NECESSARY THINGS
- Wet wipes
- Plastic bags
- First-aid kit:
- Toilet paper or packs of tissues
- Insect repellent
Find an autumnal landscape near you, hike in the trail with your kids, breathe the fresh air and enjoy everything the great outdoors has to offer.